Sunday, July 6, 2014

Blog 2: Deploying Writing

  • Conduct a dissoi logoi about the practice of rhetorical analysis. In other words, spend half of your blog post critiquing the value of rhetorical analysis, and the other half defending it.
Rhetorical analysis, in my opinion, is important but I think it is limited. For example, I wrote part of my analysis on Westboro Baptist Church, and I'm very much against them and I had to try really hard not to be biased. Which isn't exactly my favorite thing to exclude from something I write because I believe without being able to express opinions people don't expand knowledge or their minds or think of things differently. Also, rhetorics are mainly on current events or issues, not something that happened in the past or could happen in the future, also making writing a rhetoric limited. 
Rhetorical analysis is important in cases where people want to get a point across, and support that point. For example again, my analysis was about people expressing opinions on gay rights, the purpose of mine was to show people that it's okay to be gay, because you can't help who you are. Others I noticed included information on Animal Abuse, all on current events happening in the world which are extremely important. Rhetorics help people "put the pieces together" and discover things that connect to one and other without even realizing. 
Therefor, I believe rhetorics are important for readers and to get a message across, but for writers, it makes them very limited as to what they can talk about in their articles. Which, are some writers strong suit but I prefer to write something where I can be somewhat biased to how I feel about an issue and not be limited to what I write about. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your statement when you say that rhetorical analysis is a limited resource since you are not allowed to give your opinion on the topic. Although it is a great tool in writing, rhetorical analysis limits a writers opinions which is a big reason as to why many composers write blogs,research papers, and articles.

    ReplyDelete