Sunday, July 20, 2014

Blog 4: Genre

A genre I deal with regularly is Country music. I don't usually listen to country but lately for some reason I've real been into Florida Georgia Line and Zac Brown Band, listening to it almost every morning on my way to class and on drives on my way home. I listen to a very wide variety of music, mostly consisting of Indie and Alternative Rock, like Fall Out Boy and the Black Keys just to name a few. Although, my favorite artist of all time happens to be Jack Johnson, which I guess can be classified as rock, but it's hard to give him that title because his music is so mellow and relaxing, and rock makes me think of loud bands like Kiss and The Rolling Stones. I would classify his music more as blues than anything, but I guess SOME of his music may have a rock n' roll edge to it. Jack Johnson changes my perspective on the rock genre, I no longer immediately thing of the hard rock bands, I think of hard and soft rock. If a new listener looked and saw Jack Johnson made rock music, I'm sure they would go into it expecting electric guitars and lots of drums, when to their surprise they hear acoustic guitars and ukeleles. You know, the type of relaxing music you would hear on a cruise ship. Growing up by the beach, basically paradise (when it isn't constantly raining) probably made me love Jack Johnson a lot more than someone from the country would that isn't anywhere near the beach. I even listen to him to help me get to sleep at night, who would've thought that I would be able to say "Sometimes I listen to rock music to help me sleep," people probably would look at me like I'm insane. HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment